There are many tools used by radiology students as they get their education
, which are the same tools they will use when they finish school and begin working in the field. Students learn how to use these tools while theyre in school, so theyll be ready to hit the ground running and operate every piece of machinery effectively when they start their first professional job. The following list includes all the most important tools used by radiology students:
1. Brachytherapy Apparatus: An applicator system used to deliver radiation therapy.
2. Contrast Media for X-rays: These tools are used to create high contrast images of the details of viscera which are being studied.
3. Computer Axial Tomography Scan (also known as a CT scan or CAT scan): This tool is used by medical professionals to create a visual image of the inside of a human body in horizontal slices.
4. Echocardiography Machine: Medical professionals perform heart sonography to understand its function and condition using this machine.
5. Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging machine (also known as FMRI): A specialized MRI machine that scans the brain to detect changing neural activity.
6. Interventional Radiology: This machine is used to perform minimally invasive surgeries such as angioplasty under radiological imaging.
7. Linear Accelerator: Oncologists use linear accelerators for radiotherapy of cancer patients.
8. Magnetic Resonance Imaging machine (also known as MRI) or Nuclear Magnetic Resonance machine (also known as NMR): This high strength machine is used to excite protons for the purpose of recording results similar to a CT scan but with clearer images of particular tissues.
9. Positron Emission Tomography machine (also known as PET scan): Multiple rings within this machine record energy emission in the body to create an image.
10. Radio-Isotope Scan or Nuclear Scintigraphy: Radiographers administer these radioactive compounds which are taken up into specific tissues to produce scan results.
11. SPECT Scan: A nuclear imaging test to show blood flow to the body (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography)
12. Ultrasonography Machine: Radiographers use ultrasound machines to create images of the inside of patients bodies
13. X-Ray Machine: X-ray machines create images of structures inside of patients bodies to diagnose and treat illnesses.
The tools used by radiology students are the same tools used by the professionals. If you are planning on going into the field of radiology, you will need to understand how to use these tools and machines.